Enhanced Chainsaw Training Service
We are delighted to announce that we have teamed up with Countryside Training & Tree Management to provide Chainsaw and related Training around the Stafford, Burton-on-Trent, Derby, Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury areas.
We welcome enquiries from individuals and groups, and on site training is often available.
Email your contact details to email@example.com if you are looking for Chainsaw training
in these areas – please state where you are based and which course interests you.
Training in Central Southern England
Through our Dorset-based Instructor, we now specialise in on-site training for groups of 4 or more across Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex and Surrey
Courses available, leading to NPTC Assessment and Qualification, include:
- Safe Use of Pesticides PA1/PA6A/PA6AW/PA6INJ/PA2
- Agricultural Tractor Driving & Related Operations (ie Attachments and Loader)
- Compact Tractor Driving & Related Operations (ie Attachments)
- Hand-held Hedge Cutter
- Ride on Mower, Rotary and/or Cylinder
- Pedestrian Mower, Rotary and/or Cylinder
and, of particular interest to Local Authorities and Amenity Land Contractors,
Induction training for Seasonal Staff (see below) and Toolbox Refresher Training for experienced operatives.
Also available in this region:
Sports Turf Advisory Service
A 1:1 Service, which includes an appraisal of your current operations, machinery and equipment and a detailed survey of the playing surface against sport-specific PQS (Performance Quality Standards). The resulting report includes independent laboratory soil analysis, plus advice and recommendations on an appropriate maintenance regime going forward.
For a competitive quote, email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
Your contact details
Your postcode and/or town
How many people you wish to train
New Courses in Rhondda Valley/Pontypridd
PA1/PA6A and PA6INJ
Email your contact details to email@example.com to register your interest – please state which course interests you.
Induction Course for Seasonal Staff
1-day Hand-held Machinery/Equipment Induction for groups of Seasonal Grounds Staff
Of particular interest to Local Authorities and Sports Field Contractors
Available for minimum 4, maximum 8 participants, designed to familiarise them with the safe operation of hand-held equipment. Typically this will include Strimmers, Blowers and Pedestrian Mowers but other equipment may be included on request.
The course is delivered by an experienced turf professional and participants achieve a Pitchcare Certificate of Attendance.
Guide price £95 + VAT per person. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your requirements.
PA1/PA6A 1-day Fast Track
We are now able to offer PA1/PA6A as a 1-day, fast track training course for 2 candidates per course. Assessments on an additional day a few days later.
Available in W Midlands, Hampshire, Dorset, W Sussex, W Surrey
email email@example.com with your details for a quote
Groundsman Training Strengthens Links with Local Authorities
Groundsman Training were pleased to have the opportunity to participate in the recent Society of Local Council Clerks’ Practitioners’ Conference, which was attended by approximately 150 Town and Parish Clerks.
The original contact with the Society came through Martin Sampson, our Senior Instructor who heads up our training operation in the Central Southern area of England. Martin had previously been a colleague of Steve Parkinson, the SLCC’s Development Manager.
Martin was invited to introduce our new 1-day Seminar, designed specifically for Local Authority Clerks and Grounds Team Managers, which gives an Overview of, and Guidance on, the Management of Grounds Teams. He delivered two presentations, both of which were popular with delegates and well attended.
The presentations generated excellent subsequent interest, with many strong enquiries about not only the Overview course, but other training that we provide. There was particular interest in Safe Use of Pesticides courses and ground care machinery and equipment training.
We have also been invited to speak at several SLCC Branch meetings.
For further information on the Seminar and other training, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
That we have three niche courses available, both designed and delivered by our in-house ecologist/botanist? These are not offered as open courses but can be delivered on site, either on a 1:1 basis or for groups of up to 12.
* The Management and maintenance of Ponds, Ideal for golf greenkeepers, estate managers, contractors and others with water courses at their facilities, the course can be adapted to your particular situation.
* The Management and maintenance of Wild Flower Meadows, Ideal for golf green-keepers, contractors, forward-thinking local authorities, academic institutions, country estates etc.
* Turf Culture, Ideal for those seeking a more in-depth understanding of the creation and maintenance of a quality playing surface, and for lawn turf professionals.
• An introduction to plant cell biology – The implications of photosynthesis
• Essential soil science – Soil texture and structure, the science and field skills
• Basic Grass Identification – Species commonly used within sports turf
• Cultural management – Objectives and machinery
• Basic Weed Identification and control – Weed species commonly found in turf
Email email@example.com if you are interested in any of the above courses
We offer a wide range of competitively priced courses covering all aspects of turf culture and land-based operations, available for delivery to groups, often on-site at the client's premises.
Instructor to learner ratios are in accordance with Lantra requirements, typically 1 : 4 or 1 : 6. (1:14 for Basic Tree Survey & Inspection).
The Pitchare 1-day, Lantra accredited Turf Maintenance courses are available to groups of 6-10 groundstaff from local clubs, and offer preferential rates for the host club.
Please email me firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your particular requirements.
General Sports Turf Maintenance Courses
These 1-day theory courses have been designed to provide a basic overview of the machinery, equipment and processes involved in sports ground maintenance. They will be of equal benefit to those who work alone on a sports ground, including volunteers and part time grounds people, or members of groundstaff teams. They are also ideal for those new to the industry and, of course, it’s a great opportunity to spend a day with your fellow turf professionals!
The courses are accredited by Lantra Awards and are delivered by an experienced turf professional, so delegates can be sure that as well as the basic course content they will pick up lots of tips and sound advice.
Each delegate receives a Lantra Awards Certificate of Attendance and a copy of the comprehensive Course Manual, which contains a month-by-month annual maintenance programme for future reference and as a reminder of the techniques and skills covered on the day.
Safe Use of Pesticide training
Safe Use of Pesticides
From 1 January 2015, a person taking PA1/PA6A training and assessment will only be qualified to apply pesticides using Hand-held/knapsack and Controlled Droplet Application sprayers. There are now separate assessments for AW (application in, or near, a water course), Stem Injection PA6INJ, Tree Stumps PA6PP and Granular pesticides applications PA4 which were previously covered under PA6A.
Candidates booking PA1/PA6 courses are required to specify at the time of booking if they require additional assessments to the PA6A, and these will incur an additional charge.
Grandfather Rights expired on
26 November 2015.
From this date, you are operating illegally if you are now applying professional pesticides without the required NPTC qualification.
It is also now an offence for anyone to purchase pesticides authorised for professional use unless they have ensured that the intended end user has a certificate.
Dealing with Difficult People and Situations
Led by Frank Newberry, this 1-day course which has proved invaluable in helping those whose day-to-day work brings them into contact with the general public, typically school sports fields, local authority amenity land, village or community sports facilities or play areas, public parks and gardens, theme and leisure parks.
Inevitably such people will meet situations of potential conflict and misunderstanding. Such events demand well-developed communication skills if they are to be dealt with sensitively with the best possible outcome being achieved for all concerned.
Available to be delivered on site to groups of 6 or more.
Share your experience of our courses through our social media or for more information click below:
All Courses Available
Below you will find a list of all the courses available. For further information on a particular course, click the relevant title.
Those marked with an * are public courses which individuals may attend. For all other courses, we welcome group enquiries to email@example.com.
To view all our current public courses, click Booking Now.
- Booking Now
- Arboriculture Courses
- Basic Tree Survey & Inspection
- CS30/CS31 Chainsaw Maintenance, Cross Cutting and Basic Felling Training including Refresher Courses
- Health & Safety
- Manual Handling
- Mobile Elevated Work Platforms
- Toolbox Training Refresher Course for Machinery - Experienced Operatives
- Working at Heights
- Machinery Courses
- All Terrain Vehicles
- ATV Basic including Implements and Loads
- Brushcutters, Trimmers Maintenance and Operation
- Hand Held Hedge Trimmers
- Ride on Mowers
- Ride on/Pedestrian Operated Mowers
- Small Engine Maintenance
- Tractor Driving
- Other Courses
- Basic Management & Maintenance of Ponds and Wetland Areas
- Overview and Guidance for the Management of Grounds Teams
- The Maintenance, History and Ecological Principles of Wildflower Meadows
- Turf Science and Soil Science
- Pesticides Application
- Pesticides Application
- Stem Injection Treatment
- Pitchcare Training Courses
- Bowls Green Maintenance
- Cricket Pitch Maintenance Courses (Spring & Summer, Autumn & Winter)
- Dealing with Difficult People and Situations
- Induction for Seasonal Grounds Staff
- Sports Pitch Line Marking
- Supervisory Essentials for Head Groundsmen and Greenkeepers
- Synthetic Sports Surfaces Maintenance
- Winter Sports Pitch Maintenance (Rugby & Football)
Safe Use of Pesticides: This course is a legally required qualification by the Control of Pesticide Regulations for anyone applying pesticides on a commercial basis. It is divided into 13 units. Read More.