NPTC Safe Use of Pesticides
From January 2015 NPTC revised the Assessments for Safe Use of Pesticides training. Separate assessments are now required for PA1, PA6A, PA6W and PA6INJ.
Our monthly 2-day spraying courses will include PA1 and PA6A. PA6INJ will be held on a separate day periodically. If candidates also require PA6W they will need to state this at the time of booking, and there will be an additional charge for the extra assessment.
email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
PA6INJ at Pitchcare HQ, Allscott, Telford
£295.00 + VAT, which includes all training fees, training materials, NPTC registration and assessment fees.
Wednesday 29 July, Assessment Monday 3 August
Friday 18 September, Assessment Monday 21 September
Friday 9 October, Assessment Tuesday 20 October
PA1/PA6A at Pitchcare HQ, Allscott, Telford
The cost for all our 2-day PA1/PA6A training courses is £495.00 + VAT, which includes all training fees, training materials, NPTC registration and assessment fees.
NAsOR Members can claim 12 CPD POINTS per course
Thursday 23/Friday 24 July, Assessments Monday 27 July
Thursday 27/Friday 28 August, Assessments Friday 11 September
Thursday 24/Friday 25 September, Assessments Wednesday 30 September
Thursday 15/Friday 16 October, Assessments Monday 19 October
Thursday 22/Friday 23 October, Assessments Monday 26 October
Thursday 19/Friday 20 November, Assessments Monday 23 November
Thursday 10/Friday 11 December, Assessments Wednesday 16 December
PA1/PA6A at Ferndown, Dorset
Thursday 16/Friday 17 July, Assessments Monday 20 July
Monday 28/Tuesday 29 September, Assessments Monday 5 October
PA1/PA6A at Salisbury, Wiltshire
Tuesday 11/Wednesday 12 August, Assessments Monday 17 August
PA1/PA6A at Binsted, Hampshire
Thursday 3/Friday 4 September, Assessments Monday 7 September
PA1/PA6A at Finnimore Pavilion, Alton Hampshire
Wednesday 16/Thursday 17 September, Assessments Monday 21 September
PA1/PA6A REFRESHER – venues/dates as above
The cost for all our PA1/PA6A Refresher courses (Allscott, Ferndown or Binsted) is £195.00 + VAT.
email chris@pitchcare if you wish to attend
PA2 – MOUNTED SPRAYERS – Allscott and Ferndown
The cost for our 1-day PA2 training course is £295.00 + VAT, which includes all training fees, training materials, NPTC registration and assessment fees. Assessments are held on a separate day, a few days after the training.
Dates arranged according to demand; email chris@pitchcare to register your interest
NPTC Level 2 Certificate of Competence in the Safe Use of Pesticides
Alongside our regular PA1/PA6A courses at Allscott, just NW of Telford, we also offer PA6W which deals with the application of pesticides in, or near, a water course.
This is an ideal preparation for our 1-day, Lantra accredited, Stem Injection Treatment course for the control of invasive species such as Japanese Knotweed, Himalayan Balsam and Rhododendron, which is also offered regularly at Allscott and on site for clients in the W Midlands area. For further information, send your details and an outline of your requirements to email@example.com.
WE ALSO WELCOME ENQUIRIES FOR ON SITE TRAINING FOR GROUPS OF 4 OR MORE. email firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote.
About the NPTC Qualification
This is a legally required qualification by the Control of Pesticide Regulations for anyone applying pesticides on a commercial basis. It is divided in to 13 units.
Unit PA1 is the foundation unit covering legislation through the approved code of practice.
Units PA2 -13 are the practical units, specific to type of applicator being used such as knapsack sprayer, boom sprayer, seed treatment, etc.
It is a legal requirement that any person
- Born after 31 December 1964, unless working under the direct and personal supervision of a certificate holder
- Wishing to apply pesticides to land or property not owned or occupied by them or their immediate employer
- Who is required to supervise a person who does not hold a certificate but is required to use pesticides
*MUST HAVE A CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE*
Benefits of the Qualification
- Satisfies the legal requirements of the Control of Pesticide Regulations
- Enables the holder to apply pesticides safely
- Minimises the risk of environmental pollution
- Meets Farm Assurance Scheme criteria
- Promotes a professional image
- Contributes CPD points towards NRoSO membership.
The assessment is in two parts and candidates must successfully complete the PA1 Foundation module before they can take the second part.
PA1– this module is assessed by computer based multiple choice questions.
PA2 -13 are specific to type of applicator being used (i.e. knapsack sprayer, boom sprayer, seed treatmentetc). The assessment requires a practical demonstration of the candidate’s competence for the application module being taken.
Underpinning knowledge and understanding will be assessed orally.
Candidates need PA1 plus at least one application module to be awarded a certificate of competence.
Candidates may provide his/her own equipment. Any equipment provided by the candidate must comply with legal regulations.
Knowledge to be assessed
- Legal requirements of using pesticides correctly and safely
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements
- Procedures for storing, handling and mixing pesticides
- Procedures for disposal of contaminated waste and surplus pesticides
- Maintenance requirements of application equipment
- Operator health and safety
- Procedures to minimise environmental contamination and pollution
Skills to be assessed
- Select and wear correct PPE
- Calibrate equipment correctly
- Interpret product information
- Calculate and mix correct quantity of pesticide
- Apply correct amount of pesticide safely
- Assess prevailing weather conditions
- Undertake operational adjustments as required
- Dispose of surplus diluted pesticides correctly and safely
- Clean out and store pesticides application equipment correctly and safely
- Take action as appropriate to deal with contaminated PPE
Units of the Qualification – Most often required by Groundsmen and Greenkeepers
PA1 Foundation module
PA2 Ground Crop Sprayer – mounted or trailed
PA4 Pesticide granular application – mounted or trailed
PA6 Handheld applicator
Details of additional practical module are available on request.
Copies of the schedules detailing the assessment criteria for all of the above units can be downloaded
From the NPTC website at www.nptc.org.uk/assessment-schedules