A limited number of public courses will also be arranged during the year in the Midlands and South of England and details listed in the “Courses” section of this website.
The course has been developed by Pitchcare.com Limited. This Course is designed to provide a basic knowledge of bowling green maintenance. The course enables the Groundsman to grasp the basic needs of a bowling green surface, either Flat or Crown, throughout a 12 month period.
Delegates attending the Bowling Green course and using this accompanying manual will be able to develop their own skills, working knowledge and expertise, by understanding this method of instruction and the maintenance principle it sets out.
Included in the Course Manual there are working diaries showing the range of tasks needed to be accomplished each month.
This course will benefit a Groundsman working alone or as a member of a bigger organisation.
- To consider and provide safe working practice when completing all tasks and operations on winter sports pitches under current legislation.
- To understand and appreciate the general requirements of a Bowling Green surface.
- To be able to provide playing surfaces to the required standard of play.
- To carry out all maintenance operations in the correct sequence ensuring the best surface.
- To understand the difference between materials and products available for the maintenance and renovation of the Bowling Green surface.
- To understand the difference between the range of machinery available for the maintenance and renovation of the Bowling Green surface.
- To understand and be able to carry out repairs to the Bowling Green surface after each game.
- To have an understanding and be able to carry out basic maintenance to all machinery and tools used.
Topics covered include:
- The Course Objectives and Surface Objective
- Role of the Groundsman
- Key Bowling green Turf Requirements
- The Surface Objectives
- Annual Maintenance Overview
- Safe Working Practice
- Brushing, Harrowing and Drag matting
- Fertiliser Application
- Green Repairs and Renovation
- Top Dressing
- Disease Control
- Moss Control and Eradication
- Tools, Equipment and Machine Maintenance
- Setting Out and Marking Out
- Health and Safety
To achieve a good surface, good maintenance techniques, reasonable end of season renovation and a degree of control on usage will help provide a healthy sward of grass that is able to withstand the rigours of a bowling green use.
For more information, or to discuss your particular requirements, please contact email@example.com or telephone 01902 440 256